October is my favorite month of the year (followed closely by June, July, and August) and I can't let it slip away without celebrating its joys. What do you love about this glorious, golden month?
1. Pumpkins--carved or whole, orange or white and lit with a candle. On the front porch, or in muffins, pies, bread, or cake. But not the ones chewed by squirrels.
2. Color. Color. Color.
4. Sweaters and scarves.
5. The harvest moon.
6. Sleeping with the windows cracked.
7. And speaking of sleeping, flannel PJs.
8. Walks in the woods.
9. The start of winter cooking: soups, stews, and slow-cooked roasts.
10. Halloween, when we're kids again. And when a few of us make ourselves sick on candy corn.